When it comes to breakfast, I’m usually a creature of habit. I’ll go in spurts where I eat the same thing for months, then finally decide I’m sick of it and move onto something else.
Breakfast sandwiches were my jam a few years ago, then I moved onto breakfast tacos (let’s be real, I still love these!). Next it was avocado toast and breakfast parfaits, then veggie egg scrambles. Lately, I’ve been trying to switch up my breakfast throughout the week and it’s been a nice change!
I recently bought The Yoga Kitchen cookbook which is vegetarian and gluten-free and there was a breakfast bowl similar to this one and I made a riff on it that I’m obsessed with. It’s fresh, light and healthy, but also filling and soooo delicious! You could also make it for lunch too!
I’ve loved the cookbook and I have cooked several recipes in there and they’ve all been good! Have you tried a quinoa bowl for breakfast?
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 lacinto kale leaves, stemmed & torn
- 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp chopped almonds
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 egg white and 1 whole egg
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute, until fragrant.
- Add quinoa, kale and spinach and sauté, stirring often until wilted, about 5-8 minutes. Season to taste.
- Add seeds and nuts and cook another minute. Remove from heat and plate in a shallow bowl.
- Heat olive oil in the same pan over medium heat, when hot, fry eggs until desired consistency. I like mine over-hard!
- Place egg on top of quinoa, kale mixture and add sliced avocado to the side. Top with fresh cracked pepper or red pepper flakes to taste.