The winter weather here in Atlanta has been absent. Although the weather has been nice, I find myself still wanting to wear sweaters and scarves and turn my seat heater on on my way to work because it is still technically winter. Even though it has been in the 60s and 70s quite a bit throughout the winter season, I still find myself craving a hot, hearty soup and pretending that it is snowing outside. If you are in the northwest this weekend, this recipe will help warm you up!
For once, we do not have any weekend plans, and I am so looking forward to trying out a new restaurant in Decatur on Friday night and relaxing at home on Saturday. I can’t wait to curl up with Powell on the couch and enjoy a hot bowl of this veggie and lentil soup.
I had never cooked lentils before, so I wanted to try them out instead of rice. Also, I’ve been on a real carrot kick lately. I hope Powell isn’t getting sick of having them in almost every meal. I recently found some carrots that are purple, yellow, white, and orange, of course, and have loved adding them to meals whenever I can. I added quite a few of them to the pot along with some of my other favorites: red potatoes, pearl onions, tomatoes, and garlic. The lentils made the soup more filling and the spices gave all the vegetables delicious flavor. I even added a bit of chipotle chile powder for a little kick.
The Buckhead Bread Company is just down the road from our apartment, so I grabbed a loaf of fresh ciabatta bread (my weakness) to scoop up the broth and add a bit of crunch. This soup is so easy to whip up! After chopping all the veggies, all it took was a bit of sautéing and stirring followed by simmering to let the flavors infuse. Get cozy this weekend and enjoy this hearty veggie and lentil soup!
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 white onion, diced
- 5-6 pearl onions, halved
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. chipotle chile powder
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsps. cumin
- 4 slices ciabatta bread
- salt & pepper
- Once all of the veggies have been chopped, minced, sliced, and diced, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot. Add white onions and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, pearl onions, carrots, and potatoes and continue to sauté and stir occasionally for about 5 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and spices and stir to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add lentils and chicken broth and stir to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers and the flavors infuse, slice a few pieces of the ciabatta bread and put them on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper on them.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Put the bread in the oven and let toast for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with spring onions and enjoy!